This recipe is one of my favorite ways to make these underground spuds. It makes them creamy tasting with a crispy crust, but without a ton of fat. Yumminess all the way around.
Make these with the Pork Chops from the previous post and add a steamed veggie and you've got yourself a pretty simple meal. Sometimes I break down the instructions into a step by step process to help everything be finished at the same time. I've done that here.
2. Pound the pork chops.
3. Prep the onions and peppers.
4. When the potatoes are done, drain.
5. Get the smashed potatoes started in one pan and then begin the pork chops in another.
6. If the potatoes finish before the peppers and onions, just let them rest in the pan off the heat.
7. Once the pork chops are done and set aside, cook the peppers.
8. Serve all together
Smashed Red Potatoes
8 medium to small red potatoes, cleaned
2 tablespoons butter
In a medium to large stockpot cover potatoes with salted water and bring to a boil. Boil for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender, but not starting to peel. Gently drain the water. Heat a large non-stick pan and melt the butter. Add the potatoes to the pan and with either a potato masher or a sturdy spatula, gently press down on each potato, breaking the skin and flattening them to 1 inch thick. Sauté on one side for 4-5 minutes or until the potatoes are brown on one side. Carefully turn over and sauté for another 4 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Loving the sparkling snow on the bent-limbed trees
© 2008 Anne Mahle